Monday 13 August 2012

The work begins in ernest.

Well, having been away for a couple of weeks I was slightly apprehensive about what I would be confronted with up at the plot. There was no need to be fearful. The pulled nettles had dried, and the weeds hadn't grown too much.

We cleared away the potatoes, and as well as being rewarded by a clean patch,



we gathered pounds and pounds to eat over the coming months. We will have to give lots of them away or we will be gaining pounds and pounds.

 I checked out a new website, http://www.allotment.org.uk/ to find out how to store them and promptly added the site to my bookmarks list.








The compost bin was a bit nettley, so H sorted it out. As he bagged the roots to take to the dump, he disturbed an ant hill, a bees nest and found an old glove and two plastic bottles, but when he had finished it was beautifully 'friable'... as they say. I have been reading all those books I bought.
Although I want to be strong and turn all the earth, I just cant bring myself to move the hollyhocks, and they are in the way of a neat path. So at the moment I am planing  to make the path criss cross at that point, perhaps have an arch or two, and a central bed. We shall see. That's the beauty of growing veg, its flexible. I'm looking forward to next week end.

No comments:

Post a Comment